Friday, March 2, 2007

Busy Busy Busy

My apologies for my extended absense. I have been absorbed in house work over the last couple of weeks. We're trying to get our house ready for company and it's been non-stop painting and other not so fun things.

But we're almost done, at least as done as I intend to be for a while. I'm tired of scraping paint from my nails and stepping over drop clothes.

Anyway - in other news. I've had some discouraging news lately about the publishing of my book. For those of you who don't know - I'm trying to publish a book called The Weekend Wives Club. My thought is that we all have very specific needs as weekend wives and many of the relationship books out there don't address them.

So for the last six months I've been submitting my proposal to publishers. Most of them really like the idea, but they don't believe there's a market for it. I'm really not sure where to go now. I believe in the idea and it's so encouraging to hear from you guys when you find this blog .... but I'm running out of options. I still have a few proposals out there for magazine articles, and the idea of self publishing isn't out of the question .... But I really thought this idea would take off quickly. Publishing this book has become a dream of mine and now it's frustrating to see it stalling a bit.

Anyway - maybe something will come through soon. Now that we're finishing this house work up, I'll have more time to work on things.

Hope you guys have a great weekend!

7 comments:

Huffy2 said...

I'm sorry to hear about the complications in publishing your book. I can tell you first-hand that I would snatch it up in a second! Is there anything we can do to help you?

I've searched for months on the internet trying to find support groups, books, magazines... anything to find other women who are "weekend wives" (very catchy... love it!) like me.

Hang in there and enjoy your weekend with your husband. Hopefully you'll be able to relax know that your house is back in working order :)

Anonymous said...

I am glad to say that today I did something for myself. I got myself (okay, with a little help from a friend) out of the house and tried a pilates class... and it was awesome! I have certainly let myself go some... it's easy to make excuses and do very little exercise. After just one class though, I know I still have it in me to be strong and fit like I was when I was younger.

Not only will this give me something to do two days a week while it is still cold and nasty out, but it will make me stronger for when it is cycling weather again. (Some people do this all year round; I think they are crazy.) What do all of you do to keep busy during the week?

Weekend Wife said...

As for help with publishing ... any of you with any publishing contacts would be a big help. I've got quite a few myself because of my job, but most of the publishers I know are connected to fiction or another genre of book - not self help.
It's funny, I NEVER dreamed of writing a book, but I believe in this idea and I find so much comfort in hearing from other weekend wives, I know in my heart this should happen.

As for what I do to stay busy during the week ...
I work a full time job so that helps. In the evenings I take a mosaic class one night, another night I'll often go out with a friend, one night I'll take care of household things (groceries, etc) and one night I'll do a ME night where I take a long bath and watch whatever I want on TV. It makes the week go buy pretty fast.

Weekend Wife said...

KSG - good for you for trying out something new! It does feel good to realize we're capable of things we thought were out of reach. I've recently lost weight and gotten back to my "college" weight. I feel so great about myself and motivated to do more to take care of ME. My husband doesn't mind the change either :)

Anonymous said...

Have you looked at BookPros (bookpros.com)? They're primarily into book publicity, but maybe they can give you some insight into publishing.

Good luck!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh, Stephanie...
I'm sorry to hear about the book; I know how hard you've been working on that. I was excited to be a (somewhat) part of it, too!

Maybe we could all sign a petition to let the publishers realize how much of a demand there is for something like it!?

As to the "house" issue; that never ends, believe me; just when you think you are finished, something needs to be redone! It's a vicious cycle!

I love having company and enjoy the getting ready. I especially like having a celebration-it is an excuse to do something really big to the house. When we had DD's engagement party, I finally got the hardwood stairs finished and had runners with brass rods installed on the stairs! DH says I have an "eye problem"; "Eye" want this, "eye" want that.....

Weekend Wife said...

Thanks to all of you who offered advice on the book. Your offer of a petition Lynda isn't a bad idea. I'm hoping this blog is a way to demonstrate to publishers that there is an interest in this topic. Please keep your ideas coming and pass on the blog - every bit helps! You never know when the right person will see it!